January 5, 2010

gross

I got on Facebook this morning and happened to see this ad on the sidebar. I added the giant symbol going across her body to cover her up because obviously a lot of people at the advertising company somehow forgot she was naked before they took the picture.I see this and immediately think two things:

1. American Apparel, you are stupid. I'm sad this blog is even giving more attention to you. If I have the chance to ever buy something of yours I'll walk away in the other direction, simply because you think having a naked girl in some tights is the smartest way to showcase your collect.

2. I think of my little cousin Caleb. He's in middle school and guess what American Apparel/Facebook, he's ON Facebook. As if he doesn't have enough pressure with school, homework, friends and home...he'll also have sexual temptation thrown his way. AND now, if he clicks on the computer and gets on Facebook, he'll have this image in his head too.

It breaks my heart and makes me think if sex is everywhere now...what sort of chance does my son have when he's in middle school? I think raising a baby is hard, wait until my son has the pressures and temptations from the world thrown his way everywhere he goes. And I thought I prayed hard now...

4 comments:

Mandy Mitchell said...

I 100% agree with you Mo. I was just thinking about how I wasn't allowed to watch MTV when I was growing up because my parents believed it was complete trash. If they thought it was trash back then, what the heck is it considered now? I can't even imagine what they'll be showing when our kids are old enough to flip it on. I wish there was a parental block for everything nasty in this world.

ChrissyM said...

Welcome to parenthood. Now you know how we have thought all along. It is so incredible and unnecessary. You will do well, because you can be his filter.

More Than Words said...

I agree! Those ads are so gross!!

Unknown said...

It is unavoidable Mo. I appreciate your awareness, and concern. All we can do as parents is try and filter out all we can and teach our children right from wrong. And pray. love you. btw American Apparel is expensive and looks like KMart quality crap. (sorry to anyone who shops at kmart) :P