March 2, 2009

thank you Jesus

I never would have thought shortly after I posted yesterdays blog my mom would call me with the news I heard. It changed me.

Four weeks ago my Dad slipped and fell at work trying to move pallet. He went to the ER and had a cat scan to reveal a mild concussion. He was released to go back to work the very next day.

Last Monday he went to the doctor complaining about a severe head ache. They said it was a side effect from the concussion and only time would take the head ache away. All day Saturday and Sunday he slept and held his head complaining about pressure. His pain tolerance is unbelievable so it's hard to tell if he's actually in pain or not. He was acting funny and not making much sense all the time, but my Dad goofs around all the time...you can't always take him seriously.

Then this morning when the alarm went off [which he set himself] he asked why my brother was going to church so early in the morning. My mom told him it was Monday. He didn't know. He couldn't remember what he did on Sunday. He doesn't remember talking to the doctor on the phone. He couldn't remember anything he had done all day. Mom got him in the car and took him straight to the E.R. By the time he was at the hospital he couldn't even recall his address.

He ended up having two emergency surgeries today. One was to put a screen in one of his veins to capture blood clots from traveling from his body to his lungs. His other, only a few short hours later was brain surgery. They drilled holes in his skull in hope to drain a 12" long x 1" deep hematoma on the right side of his brain. The hematoma had grown so large it pushed his brain an inch off center causing the pressure and his brain to swell.

He is being monitored at the ICU at Memorial for the next 3-4 days. He'll then be transferred for another few days in a different ward and undergo physical therapy to make sure he gets all his motor skills back. The neurosurgeon says he'll be off work for at least a month but depending on how the next few days go in the ICU, he should fully recover.

Thank you to all my friends out there who have been praying for us.

My Dad was at such peace. Before he was wheeled back for the surgery he looked at my mom, Spencer and I and said ...I know and love Jesus Christ. If anything happens in there...just know that I'm in better hands. I'm not afraid of dying because I know where I'm going if I do.
Mom told him if he gets to the point during surgery and he has the choice of coming back to us...or going...he should choose to come back. Because we need him and there are more grandchildren that want to meet him one day...but if it's to the point where he needs to go...we would understand and he should go.

Mom and Spencer were being strong. Tears were pouring down my face. That is a conversation you imagine having with your father when he is 95 years old and on his death bed...but not now...not like this.

Dad's surgery was a success. There was a 50/50 chance that drilling the holes wouldn't be enough. If that were the case they would have had to cut a piece of his skull out and remove the hematoma and let the brain expand that way. Luckily that wasn't the case and he's being monitored but I think hopefully most of the blood will be able to be drained out.

My Dad is amazing. He is like a father to others. He loves everyone. He is jolly. He is hilarious. He resembles Jesus. He would die for me. He would give his last breath for my child. He is selfless. He is Third Days biggest fan. He cares for the less fortunate. He is an example of hard work. He is giving. He has a joyful spirit. He has a sense of humor that won't die. He loves his wife. He loves his church. He is the one and only.

This picture of Colt and my dad was burned in my thoughts and prayers this afternoon. It was all I could think about. One day I pray my son will cherish this picture of him and his grandpa as much as I do.
Please continue to pray for these next days in the ICU. Please pray the blood will be thin enough to drain completely and no further operations will need to take place. Pray that the source of the bleeding [which is unknown] has clotted up and isn't continuing to bleed. Pray for my mom and my little brother.
God knew on the day my dad was born that we would be here today. He knew that he would be scared and that we would be fully relying on our faith. He knew that within hours, people from New Jersey to Florida...from Wisconsin to Kansas would be in prayer for my Dad.
Thank you Jesus.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. This is crazy!
I will be in prayer for your Dad's complete healing, your family's strenth and the doctor's wisdom.

shannon said...

oh my goodness, im so choked up it hurts, tears streaming down my face... well Lord Jesus we just praise Your Holy Name for Mo's father who of all things wonderful- knows and loves you- we just rest in Your perfect plan. Lord we believe in Your sovereignty but we also believe in your Almightyness. Lord we ask you to be with Mo's father and help his body to fully recover back to full health. Lord we declare that his body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and in Him you dwell. In You there is perfect health... there is wholeness... there is perfect peace... You are perfect and deserve a perfect, whole, fully functioning, healthy, vital, thriving temple. we give you thanks for modern medicine but know our ultimate physician is You we rest all that we know and love in Your care. Thank You Jesus.

orangetreegifts said...

Amen to Shannon's prayer! Mo, my heart aches for the pain that you, Spencer and your mom are going through. But you know how tough your dad is...he has blesssed so many people and I am guessing that God has much more work for him to do and that this trial is part of your dad's mission! Steve Michael is a Soldier of God with an armor of strength that will overcome this obstacle!!!!!

Know that we all love you and are praying, praying, praying!!!

amberWIRE said...

Mo, I am so glad everything is going well now and that the surgery was a success. Angela has been keeping me updated through text messages since last night. We've been praying and will continue to.
Love you!

Stephanie and Michael said...

Well, I can't really see what I'm typing, because I'm crying my eyes out, but, Jesus is amazing and the moment my mom called me at Tricia's yesturday, we knelt down on the day care floor and begun praying, the children were calm, the bigger kids were hugging us and an amazing calm happened, I've been praying since, and I am so relieved to finally hear the news!!!! AMAZING!

Lord Jesus, we praise You and Your name always, and we are amazed and strengthened by You everyday, thank You Jesus for keeping this family in your arms as you always do Thank You for holding Chrissy in her hardest hour and mo and spence. thank You for guiding these doctors through this surgery and giving them the wisdom and patience to fix the physical injuries to steve. Thank You Jesus for giving Steve one more day with his loving family. in Your name Amen...

Love you guys

Anonymous said...

I am speechless after reading your post. Please know that we are thinking and praying for all of you. It is unbelievable how fast things can change...the good thing is that you and your family have such a strong faith to get through this! We love all of you! Please let us know if there is anything we can do!

Kate said...

love you mo... I feel so honored to know your family...so many years ago :) praying for comfort and strength

Mandy Mitchell said...

Wow, I knew your dad had fallen, but didn't realize all of this was happening to him. As I was reading it my eyes filled up with tears and my nose got sniffly. It's a terrible thing to have to go through when your parent is hurt and you're worried they may not be okay. I know how it feels. My mom was in a really bad motorcycle accident less than a year ago and I was afraid she wouldn't be okay. But we prayed as hard as we could and she made it through. Yes, she had a lot of bumps, bruises, scars, and even ended up having back surgery, but God saved her life that day and that's the most we can ask for. I'm confident that God will look after your father as well and get him through this. He does amazing work and all you have to do is ask. I'll keep him and your family in my prayers.