March 3, 2009

baldness

My brother went under the knife too. His razor knife that is...and joined Dad in his baldness adventure. Spence has a very large dome. I say that with nothing but love in my heart. It's like an orange on a toothpick.

What's funny about this picture is you can't see the other side of Dad's head. They only shaved the top of his head and the right side where they did the surgery. If you're standing on the other side you would see the worlds best 'bowl cut'. And if you peek around to the back of his head he's got some fancy mullet action going on. Hotness in the hospital. That's how he rolls.

Dad is doing good today. The cat scan from this morning revealed that his brain or 'grey matter' as Dad keeps calling it has shifted almost 75% back to center. That is a great! On Monday he could only lay at a 0-15 degree incline and today he went all the way up to a 30 degree incline. The hope is tomorrow he can pull a 45er. He really wants to sit up. The plan is to stay in the ICU until Friday with the hopes of possibly being sent home on Sunday. I'm thinking that's a best case scenario but he's heading in that direction.

Yesterday I went to the Third Day website and left a message for their Management Team. I pretty much told what happened to Dad and mention what a big fan he is. I said it would be great if they could write him an e-mail or something...sort of like a celebrity pick-me-up. Those happen everyday, right? Dad was mumbling a third day song through anesthesia in recovery yesterday. He is a nut. Anyhow. It was a shot in the dark but I thought it would be an awesome surprise for Dad if Third Day pulled through on that one. I'm waiting to see if they respond...but I haven't told Dad anything just in case it works out. So Shhh.

I feel bad for because he hasn't gotten one second of sleep since getting to the hospital Monday morning. I would be a zombie by now. He fumbled on a few things today and couldn't remember some things that he normally would have remembered. We're not worried though. His brain isn't fully back to work and he's running on zero sleep...that can't be good for recovery either. Hopefully he sleeps well tonight. Mom was going to see if they could give him a sleeping pill but they weren't sure if they would be able to do that or not.

Mom said he's been going nuts at the hospital trying to find a good picture of Colt to show to the nurses. He loves to show off his grandbaby. Another one of his quests is to try to make his neurosurgeon laugh. Dr. Smith is a really nice guy with great bedside manor but he's quiet and to the point. If you've been around Dad you know it doesn't take long before he makes you laugh. It's funny that Dad keeps talking about getting his Dr to laugh though. It's like his next big challenge.

A few quick bullets:
-My 36 day strike is over. Everyone is back to work if ya know what I'm saying. We're going to start trying though. And I didn't even have to twist Andy's arm! Muh ha ha.

-Colt's snot is disappearing from his nose and his smile is appearing where his frown used to be! Yay!

-I had subway for breakfast and lunch today. Andy said he's going to start calling me Jared. It's turning into a problem people. It's only $5 for an entire foot long? That's a whole 12" of hoagy deliciousness. Did you know that?

That's all for now my friends. Everyone is sleeping so soundly at my house right now. It's so quiet that the tapping of the keyboard is interfering with the beautiful sound of silence.

3 comments:

Stephanie and Michael said...

Awww, Mo, your dad is such an awesome guy and the more I get to know your family, even though we are family, weird...., but the more I get to know you guys, the more I really understand what to live like Christ means!!! and WHO CAN resist 5 dollar footlongs! Seriously! Still praying for you guys....

Anonymous said...

Ha Spence....such a good picture of two great guys. So glad to hear his recovery is going well. God is so good.

Mandy Mitchell said...

My husband is bald. It's a good look!