February 24, 2010

she ate!

Copper is a very fit dog but in the winter she packs on an extra pound or two and you can no longer see her ribs. In the summer so is so active [even though she eats a lot] she slims down and you can see her ribs. I promise we feed her.

We just switched her dog food to a different, more expensive, better for her, kind and she decided that she didn't like it. Her solution? Stop eating indefinitely. As a protest.
Four days into her protest I sat by her down bowl and asked her to eat some food. She picked out 1 piece of dog food...nibbled it and then swallowed. Dramatic. Once she swallowed I acted like a fool and cheered like she'd just took the gold medal, making her feel really special. Then she ate another single piece of dog food...and the crowd went wild. She ate half of the dog food that was in there and was done. But at least she ate.Then she went back to chewing on toys.Since that one day when I cheered for her she's back to not eating. She's not really acting sick. Still playing and running around. I wish she could just talk to let me know if something is really wrong or if she's just waiting for a filet mignon to show up in her bowl. I guess she'll eat when she's hungry enough. I can't see her ribs yet, so that's a good sign. This is the 'high maintenance' I talk about all the time.

Just eat the food, dog...

7 comments:

Chelssie said...

add i scoop of yogurt, a raw egg yolk or drain some tuna juice on it and she will go crazy and maybe even do a backflip... sparty eats but we add that stuff for a treat every once in a while and he licks his bowl clean!

Ash said...

may my dogs could visit and show her how to eat and maybe she could show Kota Dog (aka sausage dog) how to be active.

Mo said...

I know, we tested it...if we put anything OTHER than dog food in her bowl...she goes crazy and loves it. But that's not the point here. haha. She has to not be spoild and just eat her dog food like any other dog would.

shannon said...

bahahahhahaha i love copper... but she is soooo a drama queen. totally high maintenance.

ps i love you and i love that i could hear your tender concerned voice on that last part. she's a good dog. :)

Jamie said...

Hi Mo! Rosie is suffering from cancer and is on special food that is truly unpalatable. We have tried many, many things and the solution...baby food. We mix her food with one jar (39cents at Meijer) Turkey and Rice and presto! She eats with gusto...you have any baby food around????:)

Q, La, and Gooner said...

I think you should probably feed your dog cupcakes. I awarded you!

More Than Words said...

Our dog will do that too! But, I figured if she's hungry, she'll eat it!