September 12, 2009

no.

What we're working on with Colt:

No means No...not 'go ahead and laugh at me'.

Seriously. He laughs when I say No. I give it my best serious face but there comes a breaking point for any mother/father when you say NO and that cheesy-10 tooth-grin finally gets to you and you have no other choose than than to bite your lip and pretend like your not laughing, turn your head so the laughter is not seen or just flat out laugh right along with them. This may be my problem. HE IS TOO CUTE. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF.

He will however listen to me if I say NO and then hit the counter along with it and make a noise...kinda 1/2 way scare him into thinking that I'm serious. BUT THEN....oh there is a BUT...he gets this blank stare on his face like, 'Mom...that was kinda loud...why are you being mean?' and his bottom lip slowly starts to pull out from his top lip and quiver. He'll s l o w l y start to drop these crocodile tears and it's the sweetest sad face I've ever seen and I can't help from just kissing his face. It's ridiculous.

HE'S GETS ME EITHER WAY!

Seriously though...Any advice? He also throws everything off his high chair tray on to the floor. He especially loves to throw his sippie cup and he's a total stinker about it. But really, he doesn't throw fits or hit or bite [yet] and so if this is the worse trouble he's ever given me...I'm OK with it.

5 comments:

Misha Seger said...

I am speaking from ZERO experience... given the fact that the only child I have is currently the size of a large avocado, inside my belly... but the wonderful families around our church have pounded and pressed their recommendations of 2 books: Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, Instructing a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, and Teach Them Diligently by Lou Priolo.
Jonathan and I just started Shepherding a Child's Heart and it has proven to set out wonderful biblical mindsets for God centered parenting already! The other 2 are on our list to read next. Just wanted to pass along some resources that have been passed on to us by some successful families in our lives ;o)

More Than Words said...

I'm the last person to give advice in that department. My kids got over on me all the time with their cuteness!! It's just when they're about 5 is when it's not so cute anymore...LOL!

He & Me + 3 said...

For some reason my little guy gets away with more than the girls ever did. I am no help when it comes to little boys. THey just get us mommies. They are so sweet!

ChrissyM said...

Mo,

He's getting it. You are doing a good job. WHen it is more serious, you won't smile when he flashes that look at you. Your both getting it. You know I how I love Dr. Dobson though. It's good. When you tell him to sit down , he knows it.
Not to worry mama bear.

Andrea said...

A few tips on the throwing food part. Mine did this and my neighbor just went through it too. You can have him "help" pick it all up, make him stay in the chair until you pick it up and tell him exactly why he is still stuck in the chair, only give him small amounts of food at a time, take away the food when he starts throwing... wait and see if he asks for more food and if not he may just be done and was getting bored. It could take weeks but it will finally sink in if you keep working on it. Also I like to stick with this simple rule... tell them what they SHOULD be doing. Instead of just saying "no throwing" add on "food is for eating, take a bite." We forget that they don't automatically know the alternative to the "no" behaviors.