Colt went to bed around 8:30 and woke up at 9:30 crying. Again crying at 10, 10:30, 11, 11:30 and eventually at midnight we realized that in the hurry of our day and lack of communication we BOTH thought the other had fed Colt dinner. When really no one had. He wasn't sick or protesting sleep...he was just hungry.
I got him out of bed, immediately apologizing. I'm so sorry baby. Momma forgot to feed you. I'm so sorry. I felt terrible. We brought him to bed with us and gave him some cheese, a banana, grapes and his favorite, milk. He scarfed it down, which in turn made me feel worse. A few minutes later with a full belly he went straight to bed and slept the whole night through.
I couldn't help but think about other babies in this world who go to bed hungry every night. Little boys like my little boy crying themselves to sleep from hunger pains. So many mothers can't walk into a kitchen and choose from a refrigerator full of food. I take stuff like that for granted everyday. I went to bed with a grateful heart and teary eyes for all those hungry babies.Every five seconds a child dies of starvation.
To help stop world hunger visit FeedTheChildren.

9 comments:
Aww, Coley. He was a hungry puppy! And yes, what an eye-opener...sad to think about, but true :(
Aww, Coley. He was a hungry puppy! And yes, what an eye-opener...sad to think about, but true :(
That is an awesome post...not that your baby boy was hungry, but that little incident really made you aware and now all of us aware that hunger is something real & devastating to so many children. Makes you truly grateful. Thanks for sharing this.
awe poor guy, and you are right its a total eye opener to all the other children in the world. another one of ym favorite sites to donate is samaritans purse, you should check it out!
Awwww!!!! I love that picture. He looks sooooo happy! It's probably a combination of eating AND being in mommy & daddy's bed!
And I agree with Mimi, you made us all aware of how many children go to bed starving. That breaks my heart.
You always find grace in everything you do - you inspire me!
Mo, you are amazing! Found your blog a few weeks ago. It brings tears to my eyes... sometimes in laughter and sometimes in sadness. You are a GREAT writer! On a side note, your little boy is adorable. Congrats on your baby girl too!
okay several things.
1. poor colt. hilarious. but sad.
2. im laughing out loud that your blog about forgetting to feed your son turned into an advertisement about feed the children.... even more hilarious.
3. starvation isn't funny. its serious. so im sorry for laughing. i've felt that same sadness from time to time.
4. gavin has that same sweatshirt as colt.
5. we must both have fantastic taste we often buy the same clothes, makes me happy. and laugh.
thats it.
i love you.
the end.
sincerely.
shannon.
ps. seeing how many times and ways i could sign off. (;
pps. dont forget to feed your child,it should be like a public service announcement (:
After reading it a few times it MAY sound like a public service announcment. BUT, it was very heart felt entry...[eh hem..shannon!!]
Post a Comment