September 9, 2010

triathloner

This summer Andy decided he wanted to try out a triathlon. In August he packed up his bike and headed up to Eagle Lake. I'm pretty sure I was more nervous than him the entire time because he did great. I helped him get his bike all set up, watched his swim and then headed back home to get the babies [Don't worry...They weren't home alone by themselves. Mom was with them. I'm not that kind of mother]. Although it was a lot of running around back and forth it was nice for the kids to be there when Andy finished.

At the start of the swim I walked up and saw this gigantic orange buoy floating in the middle of the lake. I heard the announcer explain the swim course and that's when I broke out into a sweat. Wait, Can Andy swim that far?!? What the heck! I'm not sure if he can swim that far!?! Now, now...Andy would slap me for saying this because he's a good swimmer, but I guess because he hadn't ever practiced swimming across a lake before and because I'd only see him do laps in Mom and Dad's pool, I was freaking out. Sure enough, a few minutes later he was swimming back to shore. He even was smiling so I guess it wasn't that bad.

I walked up after his swim to see him transition to his bike but when I got there all I could see was him flying down the road! I was impressed by his speediness. He was passing all sorts of people too. I was proud of him.

I then ran back to the car, headed home...woke up, changed and fed my sleepy heads and we all went back and found a spot by the finish line to see him run in. Mom tagged along. She was my lifesaver. I typically don't go places where there are lots of people involved with both babies, by myself. It's just too much, especially with my firecracker Colt. I'd rather have a colonoscopy. I was glad she went with me.

I put together a quick video of some footage I got. Andy is in the middle of the pack wearing a white/red/black/onesie/speedo thingie [stayin classy] with an orange swim cap on. [I'm glad they gave him an orange swim cap because the entire week before his race I kept making fun of him for buying a clear swim cap at walmart. I won't tell you what I kept calling him, but he looked like he had a form of contraception on his head. nuff said.] The last part of the video was supposed to be Colt and Andy running towards each other for a hug, one of those slow motion type of moments but that didn't really happen.
Andy's actual time was 1:52 not, 1:57. I'm sure he'd want me to mention that.
Just last weekend Andy competed in his 2nd Triathlon. This time it was an Olympic length tri, a bit farther distance swim and bike. Watching the swim made me want to vomit. It was longer and he hadn't swam since his first triathlon a month previous. I kept looking and looking for him and finally I saw him start to swim in...but I thought for a few minutes there he was lost a sea. Whew!

He really liked both his experiences this summer and I can see more Triathlons in the future. His next big thing will be the Sunburst Marathon 2011. Now that I've shared his personal goals with the internet there is no turning back...I, on the other hand choose to commit to nothing.

I'm proud to be Andy's wife.

4 comments:

Ash said...

way to go Andy, Ian clapped for you at the end of the video. Ooo...full marathon, braver than I.

Allison said...

YEAHHHHH Andy! What an accomplishment! I love when Colt looks at Andy after he puts his sunglasses on and then gives kisses..super cute!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure he LURVED your "pet name" for him. Love. Proud wife, I LOVE IT.

Leah Hudson said...

2 triathlons in 1 summer....impressive! Way to go Andy!