June 19, 2010

iRun

First off, I know I said this last time.  But I miss blogging.  I just can't find a way to fit it in yet.  There are multiple times during the day when I think, this would be funny to blog about OR my kids got dedicated a few weeks ago.  It was a big deal. Blog worthy.  Didn't blog about it.  iFail.  I need to speak my blog into a tape recorder and hire someone to actually blog it for me. iBeLazy.

Once upon a time I blogged three days in a row.  I got up after Molly's 5am feeding, blogged and stayed up for the rest of the day.  Then I realized that I could sleep in instead and right now, since I haven't gotten more than 5 hours of sleep in the last two months, iSleep.  Anyhow, I'll work on it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
So back to iRun or iRan...or Iraq. Whatever.

A few weeks ago, lets call it 4 weeks, I decided I needed to just move.  I hadn't gone to my 6 week postpartum check up to get released by my doctor to work out but I felt great so I just decided one day I'd sign up for a race.  The Sunburst race was about 2 weeks out and I signed myself up for the 5k.  Three miles might seems like no biggie so some of your freaks out there but to me?? Marathon.

I went home, dug out my tennis shoes and tried to run a mile.  Andy went with me except he walked while I ran.  I'm that slow.  A few days later I tried to run 2 miles.  Although it sucked because I suck, I did it and ever time after it got mysteriously easier.  I ran 3 miles a few days before the race and didn't die.  I was happy about that.

My goal for the sunburst was just to finish.  People kept asking me how fast I wanted to run it in and really it was comical to me.  It's a very common question for runners, but me, ya see, I ain't a runner.  I just wanted to keep my heart from exploding and my lungs from protesting, jumping out of my body and playing dead on the side of the road. 

[Excuse this disgusting picture.  I look 5 months pregnant & I'm squinting.  It was bright.  Just wanted to post to show you all that I really did run it.  I'm not a liar.]

I ran the race in a whopping 46 minutes.  Which is 10 minutes faster than I was running it at home.  You do the math. Andy ran the 1/2 marathon and came in right at 2 hours.  He was really happy with it and I was proud of his little runner self. 

It was a good experience and I think it jump started me for this summer.  Since the race I've kept running.  I try to run every day if I can, but sometimes that's just not possible with all these little people running around calling me Mom.  I'm up to running 4 miles now and it actually feels good.  My knees are sore here and there but it's probably because I'm wearing a pair of tennis shoes I've had for 4 years.  They're all grass stained from mowing the yard. I only have one pair.  haha!  I'm a hick.  Yeehaw.  Whatever. They work for now :).

Aren't you proud of me though?  I also wanna loose 30 lbs this summer [ha!!] Hi, My names Mo and I like to set unrealistic goals for myself.  No really, since the race I've already lost 9 lbs.  That's almost 1/3 of the way there.  I'm feeling pretty good about that.  We'll see.  Just gotta keep trucking. 

Ok. Gotta get ready to give baths, run to the store and pack my kids over night bags. YES! Sniff Sniff.  They're both spending the night with my parents tonight.  Well, Colt practically lives there, he always spends the night.  But this time Molly is spending the night too!  That a big pill for me to swallow.  My gracious parents are watching my kids so I can go to a Luau, drink a pina colada & win a limbo contest.  I'm actually excited.  Maybe all the people at the Luau will want to see me run...I've got new tricks, you know.  To the tree and back, Ready? Go!

6 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Good for you running. I hate to run. I should...but I really hate it. Wow 9 lbs already? that is awesome. Keep it up girl. You look great.

Ash said...

Good for you Mo!!

Q, La, and Gooner said...

GREAT job! Awesome! It took me a YEAR to lose 30 pounds. I'm certain you will do better than me. I wanted to celebrate every pound...by eating ;)

Emily said...

Yay! So happy for you - I bet you you'll be ready to run a half marathon before you know it! Running is addictive! Keep it up, girl!

Kimberly Anne said...

Yay!! This is so awesome... I love the part about you running and Andy walking; Tim and I are the exact same :)

Mo said...

Glad I'm not the only one out there running 5K's slowly (no offense) but hey, damn it, we're running them, right!?! And right after baby, you go!