April 14, 2010

not so funny timing

Yesterday I mentioned how Colt is getting slap happy. Sometimes he thinks it's a funny thing to do but usually he's does it just to beat you up. Every once in a while when I pick him up to go change his diaper he holds his hand out in front of my face like...I'm gonna slap ya mom, ya better let me run around with poop in my pants OR ELSE!

He also completely looses it every time I change his diaper. I mean, LOOSES IT! He'll immediately flip around on his changing table, slapping, screaming, crying, acting like I'm cutting off a finger. I then flip him back around and try to talk in a calm voice over the screaming. Quite the patience tester.

Yesterday I had to pin his chest down with my forearm while I tried to take his pants off and get a new diaper out. Then I started to sweat and get pissed. I started to raise my voice, then after a few more minutes of this madness I was screaming and he was screaming back. We were both totally out of control. Well, I was still in control, but I've never had to act like a barbarian. I eventually took him off his table and half body slammed him against the floor. He started kicked my belly so I pinned his legs down and I think after our 5 minute fight [I'm NOT kidding, 5 minutes] he started to loose strength and eventually stopped.

In the midst of world war III, I thought about just putting him in his crib and walking away or just letting him win and letting him go run and play. I wanted him to obey, not win. I eventually got the diaper on the kid but I'm no Super parent. I think it's clear that cool-as-a-cucumber-Mo has no clue what she's doing.

Last night I got in bed and just bawled at my crappy day. Andy was mowing & working on his mowers all day while inside I didn't even have control of my own child. For the first time last night I totally questioned whether or not I can raise two kids? This temper tantrum stuff Colt is starting up is coming at the completely wrong time. I mean, really? Right before I have a newborn he kicks in with this crap?

I need a book. Anyone have a book they've read on toddler-ing?

Today at diaper change time I'm going to try all new things. Bribing, singing, wearing a mask and acting like an idiot...anything else I haven't tried, I'll try.

Babies are easy.
Toddlers are more confusing than men.

5 comments:

shannon said...

you're okay. you're a great mom. it's a phase, it ends. it gets better i promise. i do have some books, that i've started but haven't finished... hahahaha you are more than welcome to. i'm also sure he senses his life is about to change, he no longer is going to be the only baby around the house. kids are like dogs, they know that stuff. i can't tell you how. take a deep breath, call to your Jesus, i figure He calmed the seas, He can calm your Colt. ;) ps you are doing a great job, i was ready for you to have molly two weeks ago i can't imagine what you are going through. . . cut yourself a break and let colt watch pooh bear all day. who cares. (:

Allison said...

NO worries Mo, Mads is acting the same way...they just must sense that many changes are going to take place.But I too hope this phase stops. I really dislike it. I'm also really ready to gradaute so I can have some 1 on 1 time with her before the baby comes.

Adie said...

I am sorry that you are going through this! Especially being so pregnant. You are not the only one!! We ALL go through it! I agree with Shannon and Allison, he may be little but he knows his life is about to change and he is acting out. My 4 year old did the same thing when I was about where you are in pregnancy. It will pass. Good days and bad days! You will be a great mom on both types - just a different type. Come up with a game plan.

Brittany said...

Mo, we are so going through the exact same thing right now (minus a pregnancy). Max is getting TERRIBLE with hitting and throwing things. We've tried talking to him calmly and telling him to "be nice", but I feel your frustration level! We'll be outside talking to the neighbors while Max is slapping me across the face. We've started to do some "time-outs" - basically consisting of us taking Max over to another chair and having him stay there until he calms down. Since he doesn't stay willingly, we have to hold him there....then ask if he's ready to be nice. I DREAD diaper changing time as well...Max is all over the place. Luckily, we can usually distract him with singing a song or something like that....but I feel your pain girl. It's a phase, he'll get through it. Max is all of the sudden refusing to go to bed good again at night as well as stay asleep at nigt. We currently have a 1/2 hour battle to get him to sleep, then he's up by 2am...and NEVER sleeps past 7 am.....so, they all go through some type of phase I guess! It'll be ok...let me know if you ever want Max and I to come over to realize some of the stress...I can corral the two boys :) Good luck with Molly...I'm waiting for the news!

He & Me + 3 said...

I'll gladly trade your toddler for an 8 year old that has selective hearing. LOL They are all phases. Some harder than others.
You are an awesome mommy & you will be fine with two. Divide and conquer. LOL
Distraction is always a good method.