While writing a note in a Christmas card a few days ago I stopped on the spelling of a word I wasn't sure of. Andy was sitting right by me doing the crossword puzzle so I asked him if I was spelling the word right. In this particular situation I had spelled the word correctly. Go me. A few seconds later, after I had licked another nasty tasting envelope, Andy said, 'You can't spell. You need to start reading. It will help'.
WOE IS ME. It is true! After many years of being out of the classroom my brain has decided to put my knowledge on the back burner of life. WORDS WORDS WORDS. Why must you fail me brain?
SO...in an effort to get smarterer I'm going to start reading.
Any suggestions on what to read?
Here's what I like/dislike in a book:
a. Easy reads. Long books scare me. Boo.
b. Readings similar to The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I love Mitch Albom.
c. Nothing gory.
d. Nothing too loveyish. No Danielle Steel.
e. Readings similar to Dr. Suess, There's a Wocket in My Pocket.
f. I like things I can relate well with. I read a Fire Fighters Wife book once...I think I would like things about Moms.
Help.
9 comments:
if you are interested in SORT OF lovey books, Nicholoas Sparks has some good ones and they are easy reads (i.e. The Notebook, Walk to Remember, the Guardian, etc.). I'll keep thinking though....
Gene Edwards wrote some books retelling the stories of the Creation, Exodus, the birth of Jesus, the resurrection & Revelation. They are awesome...but it takes about a chapter or so to get into them. It's totally worth it...they totally enhanced my view of God's relationhip with us! (They're a lot like CS Lewis books {read The Magician's Nephew and The Great Divorce}, so if you liek him, you'll like these.
And Judah will be 8 months old on the 1st.
:)
I really love reading...Do Hard Things by Alex & Brett Harris is also a good one.
Simple Blessings! The Jon and Kate plus 8 book!!!!!!!!!
I have shelves full of shallow chick-lit, if that would be up your alley. Easy reads. You should come borrow some.
the twilight series :)
i didn't want to read them because i thought i would be jumping in with the rest of the crowd but they are actually reallly good books.
Yes Court. The Jon & Kate + 8 book! I kinda hinted that I would like to read that one before Christmas. I dont know if Santa got my hint though...we'll find out. IF he didn't! I'm buying! I'm addicted to that show : )
Mo, I love to read and just don't have the time anymore....my favorite "fun" author is John Irving and I love his "Prayer for Owen Meaney" Aka simon Birch. I also love CS Lewis and his "Screwtape Letters" very spooky from a Christian POV. His "Mere Christianity" is a a classic. I am presently reading a somewhat New age book....Wherever you go there you are, placing the importance of "present living" in the text. I have them all and sooooo many more...come to the Helman library anytime:)
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Just read it to the kids and loved it for myself.
I read tons and can't spell worth a flip.
Post a Comment